Hello fellow brides to be and welcome to my third edition of wedding blog Saturday!
Today I would like to talk about my personal wedding planning journey: our destination wedding.
The story of my fiance and I is a bit fairytale like, so after he proposed to me it was clear that our wedding has to be something special. We talked for days about where we wanted to get married. I researched for weeks, maybe months to find the perfect location. Our dream scene was an outdoor ceremony. Maybe a beach or in a garden. As long as it was outside.
First we had the idea of just getting married where the majority of our guests live. But then we realised how much this idea doesn’t even come close to what we want our special day to be like, after all this scenario only benefited our guests. The next thought was England. A small ceremony in a nice little cottage. Didn’t work, because we REALLY want sun. Back to the drawing board. Being nontraditional is hard work!
After a few weeks I came across a bride who got married in a small town in Tuscany. So we hopped on a plane and checked it all out. WOW. Yes that was it. We were in love! It had so many benefits:
1. It’s away from our known surrounding. Something special, exotic and simply different. It will be unforgettable!
2. Only the people who truly want to be there will make an effort. Those who only rock up for the free food will automatically be ruled out. Small guest list – intimate and simple.
3. We are very close to our family, but sadly don’t get to see them a lot. This way we will spend the most special time in our lives with them.
4. It’s warm!! In Italy the sun is always shining. We can spend the whole day outside and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
5. We did all calculations and our wedding will be cheaper than a traditional wedding close to home AND we will have a whole week instead of just one day.
All up it is going to be a simple natural wedding. 5 months until our wedding day! 😉
Just a few things to consider:
We would recommend this step to any couple who wants to make their day into something special. There are so many great places that offer destination packages. If you have a small engagement choose a place that offers a whole package. This way you don’t have to worry about a thing. If you are like me and have a long engagement and therefore plenty of time for DIY projects, get your hands dirty. It is super fun organising everything and being creative.
Before you get all excited and send out your invites make sure you think about these things:
1. Where do you want to be married? Simple question but make sure you find what suits you best.
2. Guest list: If you want everyone you know to be there, a destination wedding might not be for you. You will most likely end up with a small number of guests.
3. How will everyone get there?
4. Is travel and accommodation affordable for your guests? Decide what you will pay for and what your guests have to invest.
5. Legalities in your chosen country. Get your information in as much time prior to your big day. Sometimes you need special documents etc.
If any of you have questions about this topic, don’t hesitate to ask. I have spend so much time and am happy to give anyone a helping hand.
Image Source: Pinterest | http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/gallery/13629/